Brian,

Great editorial!

I too, was wondering which Journal this will be in.

I have a question. One which has been bothering me since my cancer and since I joined this foundation. What is the percentage of oral cancers that are "base of tongue" and Tonsilar?

As you and many members know from my previous posts, my dental office has overhauled our Oral Cancer Screenings since my scc. What keeps nagging at me is that I wonder if it should be routine for me to suggest that my patients see an ENT in order to have the base of their tongue and tonsils checked?

I am convinced that the doctors and the hygienists in my practice will be able to spot any lesions on the dorsal, lateral or lingual borders of the tongue. We can easily vizualise the palate, cheeks, lips, face and neck. We can palpate the floor of the mouth, the lymph nodes and tongue, but we CANNOT see the base of the tongue and in most people, we CANNOT see the tonsils well.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"