It can be so horrible watching someone you love going thru this and wishing you could take away the complete misery you see in his eyes even for just a few moments of relief! Wanting to touch him, hold him, comfort him but even that slight movement might trigger the waves of nausea. THis wretched disease and is effects can change in hours or minutes. As others have said, it's a roller coaster ride through a dark tunnel and you are left wondering . .." is the light really there at the end of the tunnel?" But this roller coaster does have its "ups" and you know that when you are in the "down" part, it can and will go up, so hang on to that.

Liz, is Robin sleeping with his head elevated? That seemed to help my son a little. Some nites he slept sitting up on the couch or in his recliner chair and always with the tissues nearby. It's good to stay in touch with the doctor and report and changes in symptoms. or reactions. My son also had really bad reactions to Tx very early on and altho' it is better to try and get thru the treatment without breaks, my son's doctor (after seeing his throat and mouth) did order a week long break twice in he treatment phase.

It is so good that he made the decision to not go to work. You can certainly be proud of him for that. There will be time for work later. I really like Minniea's description of taking control and making decisions from the patient's perspective. As you said earlier, "one day at a time" and sometimes it's moment to moment. Caring for yourself is important, too. Do something nice for YOU. I will help you to stay strong. I'll be thinking about you and sending you a big hug.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)