Dear All, I have just discovered this site, and I am thrilled. I have had a partial maxillectomy and a partial palatectomy in Jan. for SCC. I have not had any reconstruction, so I must wear an obturator to fill the palatal defect. I am facing decisions about the construction of the "definitive" obturator, now that my wound has pretty much healed.

I have pink plastic now, like a denture, and my prosthodontist is recommending metal for the next appliance....titanium, perhaps? He says that it is thinner and that my speech will improve with it. I am not doing too badly now, but I want to regain all I can of speech quality.

If you wear an obturator, please give me your opinion about what works best for you.

Also, I must make some decisions about how to secure the obturator: Either I must get my top teeth crowned to install a clip on the back side......and I hate the thought of cutting down my remaining teeth.....or I can keep securing it to my lateral incisor with a wire that is exposed, which doesn't bother me exc. that it allows the appliance to move, which keeps my tissues tender.......or I must consider having some osteointegrated implants installed in my zygoma (cheekbone) for securing the appliance.

I realize that these issues are not as grave as some that are addressed here, but they are issues that I need advice on. Thanks!

August--T-2 SCC dx'd 8/05...maxillectomy/partial palatectomy/rt.-sided neck dissection 1/4/06...clear margins and nodes, no rad., no chem.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!