Well I hate to jar all of you but the manufacturer of Zofran states in their literature that it is only effective 60% of the time and I would imagine that the number would be similar for Anzemet as well. Zofran also has a maximum effectiveness of about a week or less anyway so different antiemetics must be tried and rotated.

Compazine was a life saver for me because I couldn't keep anything else down and it came in suppository form.

I vomited so much and often at one point in treatment I polished my teeth like glass from the stomach acid. It is very tough watching loved ones go through this and feeling helpless. Like others have said, keep the docs and nutritionist informed. The fluids and nutrients lost will have to be replaced as well.

There are many other reasons for nausea as well. Constipation can cause it from opioids. Opioids themselves can cause nausea, especially when you are first adjusting to them). Too rapid a feeding with PEG tubes. Chemo does a number on the stomach mining and anti-acids are a must, like Pepcid AC (AKA Famatodine). The smell of food cooking or perfume can trigger it as well.

I am a little shocked that they would give him compazine as a primary anti-emetic. As Gail and others mentioned, they typically infuse the anti-emetic, after hydration, prior to the chemo.

It should get better the further he gets from the chemo (unfortunately that's usually just before the next one).

Hurray that the Zofran is helping! It is an expensive little pill, around 35 bucks each I think - probably why they tried compazine at first.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)