KimRuth,

I assume they can radiate the whole tongue with IMRT because I was told that's what they did with me too. I have some of the same concerns about that you do, since there was nothing to focus on in my case--I didn't have any nodes with cancer and my tumor was removed with clear margins before the radiation. Also they enver gave me anything to hold my tongue in exactly the same spot--which now worries me too-though I tried to keep it in the same place as much as I could eb aware of where it was.

Anyway I was told they radiated the entire tongue and the lymph pathways on both sides of the neck.

I totally understand about being so groggy and sick that you don't think of these quesitons until afterwards--in my case it was months afterwards! I wish I could help you with info. or facts that might reassure you but I haven't read much of anything about recurrences.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"