Tonya, a couple of things he might try, first is to add elevation to the head of his bed. Several inches of boards or whatever you have under the matress at the pillow end will help with lymph flow during the night. Second the method of massage I was shown, is not massage like we think of. It is more of a stroking motion with the fingertips, starting higher up on the head and gently stroking down the neck to the collar or shoulders. The idea is to move the lymph in the general direction that it normally flows which is towards the chest. The pressure applied should be light, it is not the same as massage for muscle tension. The strokes should be repeated many times each "session". It is true that radiation and surgical scars are blocking the normal flow, it is also possible that the cancer is part of the problem. In any case the lymph will find new pathways if given some encouragement

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.