Thanks for the responses. It would appear that the surgery contemplated is manageable . . . plus I have a scar on the left side, so now I will be symmetrical! :-)

I read your story, Brian. It is pretty inspiring.

Thankfully, I have not had to deal with any major complications. My predicted weight loss turned into weight gain; I had sores in my mouth for 10 days . . . no big deal, stay away from vinegar and spicy foods (and liberally apply lidocaine); no initial surgery, etc. I would say I fully recovered (other than a little fatigue) within two weeks of my last radiation.

Which brings to mind yet another irksome question.

If my normal cells have been this resiliant to the treatment, why wouldn't the cancer cells be similarly resiliant? They are, after all, merely renegade normal cells. I know the adage "the lack of side effects is not an indicator of lack of effectiveness" but it still bugs me.

SCC Right Tonsil, T2N1M0, Dx 12/04, Tx 40 radiation (180 rad), 8 Chemo (carbo), Tx ended 3/15/05, Selective neck dissection 5/24/05, 22 nodes, 4 levels, no evidence of metastatic malignancy!!! :-)