After almost one month in Houston, my brother is coming home today. The plastic surgeon said his healing was going "exceptionally" well and the regular doctor said he looks great. He had a small bout with pnemonia and a staph infection in a drain tube. That has slowed his recovery and kept him hospitalized a week longer, but from what I've read these complications are not uncommon and we were lucky they weren't any worse than they were. He had not had any pain medicine since the second day after surgery and we were very excited, considering the pain level prior to surgery, but a couple of days ago it started hurting again and he is having headaches. I so hope the pain does not return to the intensity level it was. Does anyone have experience with this? Can we expect the pain to go away or just manage it and is it usually managable? I know it is still probably too soon to know in David's case. The doctor is encouraging him to get an internet hook up at his house so he can be in touch with others fighting this disease. I hope you will meet him on these pages soon.
I hope you are all doing well and if there is ever anything I can do for any of you, please let me know. My sister has quite a prayer chain going and I would be happy to add your name and those of your loved ones.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.