Just an update on my brother's condition. The doctors at MD Anderson will be doing surgery to remove the right half of his tongue, the right floor of his mouth and the right jaw. I guess it sounds funny, but we are so grateful. They said it will be a difficult surgery, but they should be able to remove all the cancer and will be doing reconstructive surgery at the same time. This is the best news we've had in a long time, providing true hope at Christmas and for the New Year and perhaps many years to come. The surgery will not be until the end of January. I know the recovery will be painful, but he is in so much pain now I can't imagine it being worse. He never complains, but doubles over holding his jaw. The pain is constant and has been for months. He can only sleep 2-3 minutes here and there because he has began violently jerking in his sleep and has hit his head several times and well as bitten his tongue. His hands are beginning to tremble more and more. A couple of days ago he was watching a rodeo on TV and when the bull spun around it was coming right at the camera and David said he felt like the bull hit him - hard. Over the past two days he has had several of these incidents - not directly related to the television - but where he felt like someone or something just hauled off and hit him. His body even physically reacts to these "hits" by jerking back. I guess it is the pain medication he is on. The doctors did say it was a very high level. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so it would be reassuring to hear from you.
Anyway, here's to all of you and to 2005. May it bring you joy, comfort and healing.

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.