Ellen,

Welcome to this site -- I'm sorry you have to be here, but you should be able to find a lot of useful information for your friend.

It would help us to have a bit of background on his case, so we can try to be as responsive as possible. There are people on this forum who have had various types and stages of oral cancer, which can significantly affect the course of treatment and the way the individual handles it.

Is he being treated at a major, comprehensive cancer center? What have the doctors told him about the stage of his tumor? What types of tests have they done so far, and have they talked about a possible need for surgery at some point, or just radiation?

Radiation to the head/neck area generally causes loss of taste for some period of time, but it also causes other effects that range in severity from one patient to another. These effects typically don't hit all at once, but build over time with additional doses. They include dry mouth, burning on the skin (similar to sunburn) as well as within the mouth, possible swallowing problems, potential long-term dental complications, and the risk of infection. I know this sounds unpleasant (and it generally is), but if it's the recommended treatment, it's best that he be prepared up front. Many people on this forum have been through it and can provide advice and support. Also, in many cases, the doctors will recommend the use of a feeding tube, because if eating becomes a serious problem, the tube may be the best way to get the nutrition he will need.

If you haven't checked around elsewhere on this site, I would suggest that you do that, as well as logging onto this forum regularly. There is a great deal of helpful material, as well as links to other cancer-related resources.

Please feel free to come back with your questions, and we'll try to help as much as we can.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989