Rosie suggested I start a new thread about my husband's first day, so here it is. As to how it went--long, boring, and uneventful. The hardest part was leaving; I have a teenage son, and while he is quite self-sufficient, I didn't want to leave him alone all evening with his father in the hospital. But Ken was quite comfortable, had his books, TV, etc., and begged me to leave, so off I went. Called him 4 or 5 times throughout the evening, however!
The only bad part was seeing Ken's roommate. He is through his second round of chemo, and on week 5 of radiation, I think. The man is in appalling condition! He has TWO tubes (peg and naso), is in the bathroom all the time, throwing up or otherwise occupied, is incontinent-wearing a diaper, taking morphine and oxycodone, and pretty much unable to function. It frightened Ken to death, and didn't do much for me, either. Is this the norm after 4 to 5 weeks of treatment?

Sherry (Dolores is the name of my cat) Wife to Ken, starting chemo/radiation 10/25/04. Stage IV SCC of right tonsil, T2,N2A,MO