Hi Nicki,
Eds post made me think back to my last few days of radiation and the period after it was over. I remember being SO excited and happy that the daily treatments were over. I also remember how dissapointed I was when, a week later, I truly didn't feel ANY better, in fact felt a little worse. Be prepared for this with Tom. It's such an emotional let down when we expect our situation to improve overnight and it does not. Measure improvement by weeks, rather then by days, it will help. It was the BEST advice I got from this board.
Also, be prepared for Tom and possibly yourself to feel some depression now that treatments are over. During treatment we feel as if we are doing something to battle the cancer. After treatment we can feel helpless and as if we are doing nothing. Depression can set in and is tough to deal with.
I hope that you both breeze through the next few months and that by Christmas Tom is feeling like Santa himself.
Love,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.