Hi...

Scott and I were very concerned about addiction simply because we'd heard so many "horror" stories. It would have been so easy for Scott to get anything he wanted--his doctor wanted very much for him to be comfortable and offered Oxycodone and a variety of other drugs that we were initially afraid to say yes to. Finally, when pain issues became a big problem, Scott took Darvocet for a bit--didn't do much for him; then he took Roxycodone, which made him feel like he could crawl out of his skin so we stopped that. He tried Duragesic patch, but he still had tons of pain, then in the hospital they gave him Fentinyl using a pump system and he had MAJOR hallucinations. He would close his eyes and dream while still awake. Weird! He even recited lines from highschool plays in his sleep. It really freaked me out!

The only thing that he used that really helped was liquid morphine--blue stuff that I just put through his peg. It helped his pain incredibly well; it was only near the end that we had to increase it in steps regularly. The great thing about the morphine was that it didn't make him jittery, excessively sleepy, or dopey feeling like the other meds did.

Christine

Wife of Scott: SCC, Stage I retromolar 10/02--33 rad; recurrence 10/03--Docetaxol, 5FU, Cisplatin; 1/04 radical right neck, hard palate, right tonsil; recurrence 2/04--mets to skin and neck; Xeloda and palliative care 3/04-4/04; died 5/01/04.