sweety,

there have been a series of posts around this issue lately which you may want to check out in the _currently in treatment_ forum. i've also been looking for weight gain or weight maintenance solutions for my sister who's got a PEG tube and unable to handle large amounts of any kind of food. here's what we've come up with so far for a lactose-free diet with some nutritional variety:

- eating small amounts but frequently (every 2-3 hrs).

- relying on scandishake (powder mix, 525 cals per 8 fl. oz) on days that she really has a tough time keeping food down and we need to keep the volume as low as possible. this is the most concentrated calorie rich product i've found (and i've spent a lot of time looking and going from one healthfood store to another). but it also has high sugar content, so i use it on her bad days or only as part of her diet.

- home-made pureed foods. usually some chicken or other meat, cooked with brown rice and/or potatoes and some vegies. after everything is cooked, i add fresh avocados which brings up the calories.

- add flax seed oil (130 cals per table spoon) to any food you eat. this oil is high in omega 3 fatty acids as well.

- oatmeal cooked in rice milk or soy milk (rice milk is usually higher in calories). to make it thinner for the tube, i add Isocal (Ensure type, prescription meal replacement) and flax seed oil and run it through the blender.

- home-made shake made with egg, bannana, rice/soy milk or Isocal/Ensure stuff.

- add whey protein to any food. it's tasteless and doesn't add much to the volume but has, depending on the brand, 80-110 calories per scoop.

- weight gain powder mix added to any food. depending on the brand, this stuff usually has 200-240 cals per scoop and doesn't add much to the volume. i look for stuff that do not have added sugar (a bit lower in calories but you can make up for it by adding oil).

my sister was truely in a rough shape 2-3 weeks ago and she was on iv for several days at home, etc., etc. we've now managed to stop the weight loss, and in fact she's gained 2 lbs since last week. not much, but this is pretty good for someone who can only eat 180 ml of liquid food at a time. hang in there. you can do it too, even if all you do is add the powder stuff and some oil to what you're already eating.

be well.

gita

sister diagnosed 11/03 SCC maxilla keratenizing stg IV T1N1Mx; 4-7 positive lymph nodes; dissection 12/03 left upper pallette removd; radiaton left side 35 sessions 2/04-4/04; recurrence same side 4/04; chemo began 5/04 incl cisplatine, 5fu, taxotere