Erik,

I maintained most of my salivary function after radidation. (until recently) I had IMRT at MD Anderson. I think that it does depend on surgery reports and the location of the irradiated fields. I found that the Biotene products are all very good. The oral content takes a bit of getting used to at first but helps the tongue or flap geting stuck to the to areas of the oral cavity. Another thing I did for a few weeks was take Stopper 4 and keep it by the bedside table When I would wake up to suction I would spray my mouth with that. Minty fresh!!! I likened my mouth right after radiation when you have all that brown stuff pooling up in the back of your throat, to feeling like a camel had flown by and taken a dump in my mouth. Things seems be rocking along and all the sudden I have dry mouth. What gives here. Just when you get used to your new normal, you have to get used to a new new normal.

Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,