I am posting this for my husband. He has stage 4a scc of the tongue and floor of the mouth that was surgially operated on on 6/9/2006. His jawbone was replaced, and ENT did a neck dissection and all nodes were clear. His cancer was moderately differentiated.

His staging is a T4N0M0 this is a 3rd recurrance.

His ENT suggests 33 radiation TX along with chemo.

My husband does not want to have radiation yet. Nor chemo. He has appt for another opinion.

Currently he can only swallow liquids, has terrible shoulder pain and is down to 126. He has a PEG in place used for his meds. He is not ready for peg feedings until another few days when his visiting nurse can come out and start the process of ordering that for him.

Does anyone have survival statistics on a stage 4a T4N0M0 with surgery only vs surgery radiation and chemo?

The Dr said that this recurrance of the cancer invaded bone and muscle, but they got clear margins, no nodal involvement and his prognosis with surgery and radiation is 35%. What is concerning us is that if he does do the radiation and chemo and it recurs agaim ( a 4th recurrance) there will be nothing to fight it with per the Dr. He did not do well after the surgery and was in ICU for 2 weeks, then developed cellulitis in his leg graft. He is a surgical mess right now, and he is discouraged, tired and ready to give up. He wants a break.

So he does not want to expend all options since this was a 3rd recurrance, same location within 6 years.

He wants to postpone radiation and chemo for 6 months and wait and see what happens. His RO was agreeable but not happy as she feels that it is his choice and she respects that but from her side he should have this ASAP.

My husbands concern is that he can barely swallow now, weighs 126 pounds and he can barely keep any energy up now.

Any advice would be very welocome.

Stage T4N0M0 4A Scc 3rd recurrance. Surgery 6/06