Thank you to all of you for your helpful suggestions. It is definately a balancing act between all the players to get the shots in at the right time and then radiation as soon as possible after the shots. I will pester the docs until we get the right combination of nausea drugs. The oncology nurse didn't seem to think he would have much nausuea but based upon what I've read I think she is wrong. My dad has had alot of dental work in his life so they are concerned about what the dry mouth will do to his teeth, long term. If the amifostine cuts that in half it will be worth it. My Dad does not have a port so we will see how that goes. He is very stubborn.

Caregiver to Father:Stage III unknown primary; modified left side neck dissection 2/2006; 8 wk trmts of Erbitux 3/2006 with-37 radition treatments; 11.2010; biopsy of base of tongue results questionable. 9.2013 tumor on left side of tongue; squamous cell cancer. 10.2.2013 Hemiglossectomy(1/2 tongue removed) with reconstruct tongue using left thigh tissue;surgery included IORT.
25 additional IMRT radiation trtmts & 5 wks/chemo. Carbo & Taxol combo.NPO;100% PEG depend;aspiration pneumonia 3/2014