Hi,

First off I think everyone here is doing a wonderful job in lending support to people who are afflicted with cancer.

My Mom, 45 years old, was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, base of the tongue (primary) and 1 node at the side of the neck. We decided to go with IMRT only (no surgery, although a surgical oncologist did recommend that). She is undergoing IMRT treatment and is about 8 sittings through. She had a couple of (2-day) doses of chemotherapy in between (Sysplatin, 5FU) because the doctor felt that this would allow the IMRT to do its job better.

The last 3 or 4 sittings, she has had to take a time-out in the middle of the radiation because she has had palpitations and some trouble breathing and also pulse-quickening . The doctor has said that this is psychological and completely stress-related and that there's nothing that relates to the treatment itself that can cause this. Have any of you come across any such effect (either during IMRT or XRT)? If you have, can you tell me if it IS purely psychological?

The doc has now prescribed a mild dose of tranquilizer (with an OK from the cardiologist) so as to prevent the palpitation. Now, will taking this drug during the course of IMRT treatment have any side-effects?