Back again- part 2:

How much of your tongue was removed? I had half removed and taste/eating/speech is a problem for me, but I think that has mainly been from the surgery. And as said, for me that is secondary to just being alive.

I have had some infection and radionucrosis at the front of my jaw - they sliced through my lower jaw to get to the floor of the mouth. Bone decay and gum tissue lose are a side effect of radiation - I did go ahead with IMRT radiation. So, I am having some damage effects from the radiation. Will have to see what the future holds.

In weighing my decision whether to have radiation or not, I thought about how I might feel if I later had a reccurrence. Would I later wish that I had done it? So, I thought I'd go ahead and fight it aggressively.

Will never know if it was "the" "right" decision but I did feel comfortable with my decision (and still do). My husband and I discussed it a lot and were pleased to get the 2nd and 3rd opinions even if the answers were not clear cut.

Best of luck to you, and I don't mind being a sounding board as you think things over.

p.s. Are you being treated by a comprenhensive cancer center? In the iffy and aggressive cases it is reassuring to know that you are dealing with specialized centers and doctors who are familiar with a lot of Head and Neck cancers.

Oh, and by the way, I never smoked, drink only socially or moderately, and was 41 at the time of diagnosis, so much for thinking cigarettes are a factor in my case.
michelle

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.