On the contrary, I am not on this site all the time, as a matter of fact I can only get to the boards about once or twice a week now. The work of the foundation has really started to involve travel to Washington, the NCI, the ADA and more. This is where we will make the changes necessary so that this disease gets caught at an earlier stage. And while I am receiving thanks here, I want you all to know, that the reason the news is updated so often, is because we have enlisted the help of a volunteer, Sheldon, to take some of the work off of my shoulders in clipping the articles and getting them up on the site almost daily. Were it not for his help, over the last couple of months when I have been literally living out of a suitcase making our case in front of the powers that be, the news section would have fallen behind.

The trials that you are referring to in the US have very strict protocols for participation, as do all FDA sanctioned clinical trials. The main part of these is now finished. The next run at them will involve a new set of protocols that you will have to qualify for, and be recommended for by your docs or treatment center. All clinical trials are centered around gathering together a significantly similar group of people. So they may all have to be the same age group, sex, stage of cancer, received the same types of treatments, etc. etc. When the new trials are set up, they will be listed at various sites (and certainly at your oncology centers trials office) and they use search engines to find appropriate trials for various patients. On the resources page of the OCF site there are two links to sites that provide specific information about ongoing clinical trials. But finding a trial that you qualify for on your own can be a daunting task. This stage of the vaccine trials is over for now to the best of my knowledge. So now that they have shown these positive results, they will have to set up a new trial protocol with the FDA, and when the efficacy and safety of that trial proposal is approved, then begin recruiting new patients for the next phase. Don't forget that half the patients in any given trial are not receiving the vaccine or drug. Even if you qualify, there is no guarantee that you will be in the group that receives the treatment/drug/vaccine in question. The doctors themselves won't even know, because it is a double blind trial to assure that the data that comes from the trial is accurate and free from human bias.

Rest assured that I will always do my best to find answers for those who ask. But I am only one person, and as you say, like you, I also have limited time. I am no martyr, but the last three weeks have been concurrent 12 to 15 hour days at my own choosing as opportunities and demands have increased as the foundation becomes more than a website, and more of a vehicle for proactive change. Besides the work of the foundation, I get about 25-45 emails from patients and family members a day. I try my best to answer as many as possible in as timely a way as possible, but I am only one person. While it is always easier to just ask the question, sometimes we have to use the resources available to find the answers for ourselves, time consuming or otherwise. That is why so much effort is put into putting the core information on the main section of the web site. Many of the answers are right there, since I, and others who work so hard to try and be there with answers on this board, may not be able to answer any particular question immediately. While you may get fast answers on the board sometimes, the information that is in the main body of the site has been reviewed by several doctors and it is accurate. I and others here, while knowledgeable, may not always have the right or correct answer, only an opinion.

Lastly, trials are run concurrently by many different groups all with the same protocol. This may be in various institutions in the US, and it may also include institutions outside the US. That way the data is likely to be accurate if results are duplicated at multiple sites. It is unlikely that you could enroll in a UK trial as you would have to be there to receive the treatments and be monitored.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.