Hi Terry,

I had a daily injection of amifostine for all 37 of my rad treatments. They alternated the injection site between the left and right upper back hip / butt area. They injected the first shot in my stomach above my belt line but since I had / have very little fat to spare in that area they switched to the upper hip / butt area. It smarted and hurt some but I never really experienced any more naseau than what I got from the chemo. I received my shot 30 minutes before each rad treatment so my rad docs were also on a tight schedule to get me in on time. I'm 10 months post Tx and my saliva production is pretty good although I do get dry mouth and require drinking a lot of water when I eat. For me, I would hate to see what my saliva (or lack thereof) would be had I not had the amifostine. As you can see everyone is different but if you can tolerate the drug then I'd say go for it. I had the attitude that I had nothing to lose and, hopefully, saliva to gain.

Good luck going forward with your treatments. We're here to listen and offer any support you need.

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03