I can't offer a lot of info on the effectiveness of the Iressa, but I can fill you in on some of the side effects. I'm in a trial at Univ. of Chicago, and I've been on Iressa since December.
Though I'm in remission right now, I can't say how much of the succes is due to the Taxol,Carboplatin, and Rads. and how much if any from the Iressa.

Within about 2 weeks of starting the Iressa, I developed an acne-like rash on my face (puberty again at 55 :rolleyes: ), and a less severe rash on my hands. I've had occasional diarhea attributable to the Iressa, but it was easily controlled with Imodium. My skin rash cleared up fairly quickly, and I've had no significant problems with it. Some of my "classmates" in the study had a more severe skin reaction, and were forced to discontinue the Iressa.
My oncologist at my last visit said that there was some early indication that Iressa and another EGFR blocker whose name escapes me were increasing the efficacy of Radiation treatments. I'm new to this forum. I hope this little bit of info is helpful.

Best Wishes

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."