Message to tonsil cancer survivors:
This is the first time I've posted on this forum, don't know why I forgot about all your wonderful experience out there.
My husband had a tonsilectomy 8-5-03 (left)followed by 7 weeks of combo radiation/chemo treatments. He was hospitalized in October for 2nd & 3rd degree burns on his neck and upper chest area. In November he was again hospitalized with a bronchial infection. He has been relying on his PEG tube for all nutrition since mid-September. The doctors told him he would eat by Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and now they say hope for Valentine's Day. He is very frustrated and his spirits are low. His main problem is the burning stinging sensation on the back and sides of his tongue and the post-nasal drip that adds to the thick saliva causing him to still have to spit-up the "gunk" all day. The doctors just tell him to be "patient" that he is just a slow healer. He can only swallow Ensure after he swishes his mouth with UlcerEase and Triple Mix, but solid foods and most liquids sting too much to get down.
Has anyone had this problem so long after treatment ended? Any suggestions on what to do?

Lorie
Ontario, CA

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.