I just started RAD this week and due to something I saw on this site that Brian had written about treating both sides of neck to prevent micro mets in the future made me ask the RT doc if that were the case. Indeed it is.
The questions didn't occur to me until AFTER I had seen him, so I'll ask here before I ask again (prob tomorrow).
When they say "both sides" what exactly is involved? I chose IMRT RT to lessen the exposure of RAD to healthy tissue, but it seems to me if I only have a tumor on the rt side, what exactly are they "zapping" on the left? Am quite concerned about this as I have noticed a tooth on the upper left that seems to be having significant pain when disturbed or subjected to cold. (I saw a dentist 3wks ago and was assured it would present no problem) but now with RAD going into the left side I am seriously questioning what is going on.

Also, should I be taking my salagen pills already, or after I notice a change in my saliva?

I have noticed a couple of people that have mentioned putting cotton rolls between teeth/gums during RAD. What exactly does this help with?

I am trying to be "proactive" and prevent as many side effects as possible before they rear their ugly heads......any advice/experience with these (and other) problems with RT/preventing side effects would be welcome.
Thanks. Gordon

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo
10yrs-still kickin!