Kristin posted a recent question about acupuncture and salivary stimulation. A few months back, someone brought up the topic, and I figured 'why not'. Last week concluded my intensive treatment of 2x/week for 5 weeks. Although I HATE the needles in the ear/finger, I have to admit I've noticed a thankful (albeit small) change. They did not do the sugarless candy, although I randomly sucked on it a couple times after treatment and noticed a positive change (didn't know that it was sometimes used in treatment, as Brian mentioned). That being said, my teeth would subsequently hurt (sensitive, I guess), so I've stopped with the candy.

Just to recap - I went through 56 GrYs of normal radiation for 6.5 weeks, then 16-18 GrYs (can't recall which) of brachey therapy for 30-something straight hours. Rads ended mid-May, Brachey ended mid-June.

Is it like it used to be? No. Do I feel like my mouth is the Sahara Desert anymore? No! There's enough saliva coating to make me comfortable. I'm not sucking down the water as frequently as before, I can talk longer w/o drinking water, I can make short trips in the car w/o feeling panicked w/o my water, etc.

Through acupuncture treatment, the salivary production was spotty (went from real moist for a few days, to Sahara Desert for a few days). It seems a bit more stable now.

That being said, my throat is still dry at night, but I can get through the night w/o water. Some people may not feel the $$ is worth the comfort I rec'd, but I feel it was worth it (and that's truthfully all that matters). The reduced "No Water Panick" attacks alone was worth it to me - but it may not be worth it to you.

The woman I see is part of the Harvard/Partners program in Boston. If you're interested in seeing or speaking with her, just shoot me an email and I'll send you her contact info.

Sabrina

PS - needles are sterile, she wipes down the body areas with alcohol before and (if necessary) after, if she touches them it is with gloved hands.