i dont know where to start... after a biopsy a week ago, we heard the words yesterday, its back, and the only option left is a layngectomy. this is a very aggressive tumor, and although its in the primary site, this is the treatment offered. i am in the medical field, so i know how difficult it is for patients and family to cope with never hearing your voice again. i am so sad. del is considering a second opinion, but i think probably he'll have the surgery. its a shock, after all he's been through. i find it breaks my heart over and over again to see him so debilitated, still with the headaches he's had and now staring at death behind his shoulder. the docs said they would keep him comfortable, and without surgery there would be pain and the enevitable death. no times frames were discussed.
we are now facing the last christmas with speech.
i guess we'll just have to take it one step at a time. we havent told all the family yet, actually thinking about waiting until after xmas, until we can digest all of this, but its crushing me a bit and so i just wanted to vent and cry alittle with all of you.
if there are any laryngectomy patients out there maybe your could tell me how life is for you. i would appreciate it.
best wishes to all, and a peaceful holiday.

wife to Del,dx.4/07 BOT SCC t3n3m0 3rounds chemo (5fu,cisplat,taxotere,erbitux)35 IMRT tx.with weekly erbitux.finished 9/07. 12/07 biopsies +,surgery not an option.returned to palliative chemo 2/08. 6 tx.of cisplatin/taxotere,methotrexate 8 tx. He died Aug 20,2008, but lives always in my heart.