Hello, all!
I haven't been visiting this forum for quite a while and am glad to see that there's still some quite amazing people helping one another to deal with the various horrors of dealing with this disease.
I have been recently re-diagnosed with SCC on my tongue and now my LIP! I originally went through chemo/IMRT rad in '03, and while it was no picnic, I managed to make it this far. Had side of tongue excised last year-and now have been re-diagnosed with SCC on tongue and lip. Doc seems to be rushing me to surgery (Fri 23Sep), and while I feel it is best for tongue SCC, am completely in the dark as far as lip. He wants to remove aprox 1/3 of lower lip, replacing 1/2 (?) of area with section from upper lip. This sounds bizarre and potentially disfiguring and seems to me best left to a plastic surgeon.....? I've had the area on my lip that always seemed to be "chapped" for years and question whether or not it is realistic to just leave bad enough alone....for the time being. He says I'm "putting my head in the sand" and it could potentially be EXTREMELY disfiguring.
I guess I'm still vain enough to want to make a good-looking corpse!!! :-)
Any similar situations out there? I have NO IDEA of what to expect, and one thing earlier treatment showed me about myself is that I DON'T LIKE SURPRISES!!!!!
Gordon in Atl

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo
10yrs-still kickin!