Hello,
My dad's cancer is back.
He met with his cancer team yesterday.
I did not get to go.
2nd hand info is hard for me, I'm hoping some of you can help me understand what I was told.

The squamous cell carcinoma has returned, to the same spot in his cheek, but also lower, and into the jaw bone, and extends up to the cheekbone, but doesn't include the cheekbone. There is lymph node involvement, and they will remove lymph nodes during surgery. I'm told the tongue and throat are clean. My dad will have surgery to remove the cancer, will have bone and skin removed from his leg to use for reconstructive surgery. He said it is a free flap. Radiation and chemotherapy are not options.

Can anyone please help me to understand this info? I don't know anything about a flap, nor anything about the lymph nodes being removed.
I guess this means that they will replace part of his face, from lip at least halfway back his cheek, and from jaw to cheekbone. (?)

I asked my dad what stage it is, he said stage 1, but I don't think so. I'm 43 years old and hate being treated like a kid. (Dad is 63) Knowledge is power, and the only thing for me to be afraid of is my own ignorance.

Thanks in advance,
Deb

Dad had oral lichens planus, and oral leukoplakia before T2 SCC,2 nodes.
DX10/23/03
IMRT 12/29/03.30 rad,3 boost.
Brachytherapy 3/8-3/11/04.
Recurrence Nov07 Stage IV.
4 Surgeries
No rads, no chemo
I have oral lichens planus,
thrush,leukoplakia 2/20/08
6/2/08 biopsies "inflammation"