I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following problem. My father was diagnosed in February with oral cavity, buccal mucosa, left SCC, in situ and at least superficially invasive in his left jaw bone. He had his left mandible removed and replace with a bone in his leg. He had all his lymph nodes removed. Two lymph nodes were affected. He had six week of radiation that finished in June of this year.

My father still has a peg tube and as of this date has not been able to pass a swallowing test. He has not been able to have a drink of even water since February 1, 2007. Needless to say he is dying of thirst.

My question for the forum is my father is still experiencing massive amounts of phlem and his tongue is swollen about 3 times the size of what it should be. His tongue has been like that since the day of the surgery. His doctors give us no reason for the swelling other than this is what happens with this type of surgery.

Has this happend to anyone else?? Do you have any ideas how to make him more comfortable?

Thanks.