Hello there:

I am brand new here and hope that I'm posting in the right forum. My mother was just diagnosed with Stage 1 SCC (located in back of mouth at junction of hard and soft palate). Mostly in situ but some locally invasive components.

ENT removed the cancer two weeks ago, although at the time he did not think it was cancer, just removed it "in case." Removed about 1.5 cm. Had been watching this "spot" in her mouth for a year. Spot never changed at all, but he finally decided to just take it out.

He called the cancer "minimal" and "not aggressive." However, I keep reading on this site that SCC in the mouth is usually aggressive.

Here's my question: We have to decide whether to do more surgery and try to take more area out as added insurance, or do six weeks of radiation. My mom is 75 and already has moderate emphysema and temporal arteritis (an inflammatory condition affecting blood vessels in the brain, which she is treated with 2 mg prednisone daily to keep it controlled). Still smoking and drinking, although she's now thinking about quitting smoking.

After reading all these side effects of radiation, I just worry about her going through all that when she's not that strong to begin with. It sounds like hell. ENT said it was a "gray area" whether to do surgery or radiation and didn't recommend one way or another.

Second opinion with ENT and radiation oncologist scheduled next week. CT scan scheduled too, though they don't think lymph nodes are involved.

Is there anyone out there who has NOT done radiation and lived to tell the tale for more than a short time? (I did read one posting from 2002, but are there others?) If my mom were younger and stronger I'd be leaning more to the radiation just in case, but given her age and health I'm hesitant. Am I being short-sighted?

It's her decision but I'm just trying to get some opinions/information to help. Sorry to be so lengthy and thank you for your help.

Kate