Hi Sammie, I'm so sorry to hear the news and can understand your reactions to it. We all live in fear after a cancer diagnosis - of just about everything. Did they get it all? Is this the best treatment? Am I doing too much or too little? It's hard to find a context for all these emotions.

I believe that it is perfectly normal for your husband to feel it's all over with this news but there are new treatments and things coming out of clinical trials every day. This is a very active time in cancer research. It's easier said than done but try not to get too far ahead of the information you have at any given moment. Just like the first time it's still about the location, the type of cancer of they have found, how aggressive it is, and what they think they can do about it. If you don't trust what you are hearing get a second opinion. Tumor slides can be shipped anywhere and you have nothing to lose by doing that.

What are they talking to you about in terms of treatment? It doesn't appear that he's had chemo or radiation from your signature so is that an option? Ask about Erbitux because that has been studied in clinical trials with recurrent cancers. Jack and I went to a conference on HNC at University of PA last week and sat with a woman who had survived 3 recurrences. It changed our perspective dramatically.

All the speakers stressed how rapidly things are changing. I think you need to feel the shock and emotion of it coming back but don't give up. More people are surviving.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.