Hi Dave;
After my surgery I had the slurred speech as well. It continually improved until I had my recurrence and had radiation and chemo. I have now been seeing a speech therapist and her "tricks" and exercises have really helped me. As others have mentioned this might be an option worth exploring. I also am still very aware of my speaking "shortcomings" but my wife tells me that I now just sound as though I have a slight lisp, so I think what JoAnne says makes a lot of sense about our own self consciousness.
I too have the intense cramps only mine is located around my right scapula. I was told that a lot of it in my case has been caused by the radiation weakening the muscles in and around my neck combined with the earlier surgery. I am being told that massages in that area help and it will continue to improve. It is something you should definitely discuss with your medical team.

Best of Luck to you,

Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****