Okay, so the post surgical pathology report confirms that I do have cancer. The surgery, performed by my ENT, removed "Right Tonsillar Fossa Mass & Right Neck Mass".

My first appointment with an oncologist at our local cancer center (Santa Barbara), is scheduled for Friday. I need a little help with some of the terminology so I'll have a better idea of what questions to ask.

Here are some of the comments from the surgical pathology report;

"... confirms the diagnosis of invasive poorly differentiated carcinoma that extensively involves this sample. The term lymphoepithelioma-like is used in this case given the associated prominent lymphoid infiltrate. the right neck mass submitted as part "B" represents an enlarged lymph node that is extensively involved by metastatic carcinoma with an identical morphologic appearance to that seen in the right tosillar fossa although the metastatic tumor in the lymph node contains areas suggesting some degree of suqamous differentiation ....

My best friend is coming into town to go with me for this ititial appointment with the oncologist and I'm trusting her to be in a clearer state of mind for asking appropriate questions. Any suggestions are most welcome.

In the mean time, can anyone explain "like I'm a two-year-old", what "lymphoepithelioma-like" means? Or, how about "morphologic appearance"?

As stressful as these last few weeks have been, I'm at least kinda glad to finally have some kind of diagnosis - even if I don't yet fully understand it or the consequences. I also understand that while I may not be the one who will be driving this train, I will be on it and will NOT be run over by it!

SCC, Right tonsillar fossa, T4N2M0, Dx 1/12/07