First of all, congratulations on stopping the chewing tobacco. If you take Gary's advice and check out www.outdoortexan.com, the odds are you will never be tempted to go back.

Gary's suggestion that your wisdom teeth can be contributing to your prblem probably is, as always, good advice. I would like to add that some of your symptoms could indicate a TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. It is also possible that both things are going on at the same time.

I would suggest that you keep your appointment with the dentist and see what he/she has to say. A visit to an ENT may be indicated after your wisdom teeth and TMJ are checked out.

As you found out, the bumps on your tongue are normal and it is not uncommon for people to discover them when they are examining their mouth looking for problems. They are called papillae.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"