Hi Amy,

Happy to see that you are just on a fact finding mission. I was worried that you had suspicions about something.

I think that the more you look in your mouth and the more you become familar with what is normal for you, the better you will feel. Of course there are many areas that you can't see and they need to be professionally checked. The papillae that form part of a triangle on the top back of the tongue are commonly a cause of concern for people when they first discover them. So Eileen's and Cathy's reactions were normal.

I always check the visible areas of my tongue, floor of the mouth, palate and cheeks. I also palpate my neck. Other than that, I rely on my surgeon's checks and plan to get a yearly laryngoscope done.

The concern about recurrences is something none of us will ever get over. We just have to live with this hanging over us and enjoy each day.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"