Hi Cindee, My guess is that the tiny nodes were showing up on one of his scans. Generally the lymph system is the first pathway that these cancer cells will travel. Two pieces of good news: The node chains will be a part of his radiation "map" and the cancer cells do not usually move very fast through the lymph system. Many of us had lumps (nodes) that were present for months. (at least 6 months for me)

The trend lately is to not surgically remove these nodes but instead go with radiation or radiation with chemo. The results are as good with less side effects.

As for radiation, IMRT is probably better if he can get it, Ask his doctors. He IS in for a fight The course of radiation you mention is a maximum dose so his RO is serious about beating this. I don't remember if you have said where he is being treated but take the time to verify that it is a Comprehensive Cancer Center, or at least the best hospital you can find.

I cannot agree more that he will need you and the support of his family. If you need help in lobbying with any agency to explain what he is up against I (and probably every regular poster here) will gladly assist. Radiation to the head and neck is a hell of a process. The good news is it is very effective.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.