Hi All- I'm sorry it has been a very long time since I posted anything. Lots going on since Don (my husband) was diagnosed with tonsil cancer in August 2003. We celebrated his 2 yrs cancer free on Oct 21, 2005 and he was feeling GREAT, except for what had been diagnosed as bronchitis & a sinus infection.

After the antibiotics didn't work and he was feeling rundown and worse 3 weeks later I took him to E.R. We demanded a chest xray...Thank God! It came back "suspicious" so they did a CT scan and took blood. Long story short he has metastasis to both lungs with numerous nodes and they found that he now has Acute Myleogenous Leukemia (AML).

Needless to say our lives have been turned upside down. I took him to E.R. on Nov 6, 2005 and he wasn't released from the hospital till Dec 23, 2005. The first chemo round for the AML did not work because they discovered that the AML was a result of the treatment for his original tonsil cancer. I demanded he be moved to Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles and I thank God for that too. It appears at this point that the 2nd round of chemo put his AML into remission. We found out this past Wednesday that his brother is a perfect bone marrow match. The doctor is hoping that the transplant cures the AML.

The metastasis to the lungs is separate from the AML so they had to treat the AML first. At this point the cancer in the lungs is at a stand-still, which is a good thing. After the AML is treated they will treat the lungs. We have a loooong way to go.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience, especially the AML ? I could use all the comments, suggestions, and emotional support any of you can give.

Don's spirits go up and down. He is home for now, waiting for insurance approval for the transplant. His mouth sores were bad again from this chemo...especially since they had to do the 2nd round before he had a chance to heal from the first. His body is "beat up". I feel helpless.

Thanks for listening and always being here.

Lorie

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.