Hello,

To echo what some others have said, check with an ENT, or oral surgeon. Try to find a major center- university , or dental school. Ask if they see many cases of oral cancer.

First, not all mouth sores or lesions are cancerous. So do not panic. But you should be AWARE and educate yourself. Also continue to follow-up the matter if the spot continues.

I am 41 years old, never smoked or used tobacco products, and am a moderate/social drinker averaging 2-8 drinks per week. In September 2003 I was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer on my tongue. But for 20 months prior, I was being treated for leukoplakia - white patches in my mouth. Over that time I had several bioposies - I know that awful feeling waiting for results - biposies were described as "Leukoplakia" or "dysplasia" indicating a precancerous condition.

What did it look like? For years I had a white patch on the side/underside of my tongue. It didn't hurt or bother me. It may have started as a canker sore that healed but never went away. I also had a jagged molar next to it that may have aggravated it. Then suddenly one day I observed a RAISED, vertical white growth on top. That is what sent me to my general dr. It did ressemble a warty growth, but leukoplakia has different appearances. (there are pistures on this web site)

So, I would suggest doing research on leukoplakia. I don't recall the exact web sites but I found a lot of information.

Ask the doctors what possibilities it could be (abcess, fungal, inflamation, etc) and why they think it is or isn't.

2 diagnostic tools that you might want to ask about are toludiene blue staining and Oral brush biopsy.

Don't panic or worry, but educate yourself, be your own advocate, don't ignore it if it pursists. Feel relieved that you are addressing it now, and if it is a problem, catching it early.

good luck!

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.