Hi there. Boy what a shock! 49 year old family man, never smoked, chewed tobacco and social drinker. I had what I believed was a canker on the right side under my tongue, July 07 and then continued to irritate it by biting while I chewed and at night for some reason was biting my tongue as well. Never thought to have it checked until I had a disk slip out on me in September 07 and finally in October asked a doctor that was covering for my family physician for a couple weeks what I could do to clear it up? He give me a over the counter mouthwash that basically just numbed the pain. When I finally saw my family physician when he got back two weeks later, he seemed very concerned and got a biopsy lined up the next week. Also suggested I get a bad tooth that lost its filing that summer removed right away too. A week later Had the toothpulled and same day I was informed it was Squamous Cell Cancer on my tongue!!!!! eek Just completed CT scan of neck and head and having the area of the tongue removed November 21, '07. Never knew the qustions to ask until I found this site and read a lot of your postings and replies. I have booked another visit with my family physician tommorrow and will ask him about a little more, then will make a lot longer list to ask when my CT results are ready. Should have them before they cut my tongue. Both my surgeon and physician hopefully give me the same answers. Have no idea of stage and am very nervous because of the postings that I have read. No matter the stage I through IV, people have had the SCC reoccur! Then I read where family members continue to post and say there loved ones are now at peace, after only a couple years or less. Boy that can scare the hell out of one. But there does seem to be a lot mor happy survivors, thankfully.
I am concerned that I do have a annoying tickle in my throat, slight steady ear ache and little cough with the tickle, whats that about? Anyone with same?
confused My family and I are working at staying positive and life as normal, as I have continued to put on the happy face and tried to accentuate the positive results we have heard of. But for me, I am making sure my life is is order for the just in case and its about time I caught up on that anyay.
By the way, with the slipped disk. I did have a CT and MRI on the back and seeing the neurosurgeon November 20th to decide that course of action as well. I live with lower back discomfort and a numbness of the lower left leg.
More pain and extension of that numbness if I excert myself, sit to long or lay in certain positions. There is definitly a pinched nerve. Boy sometime whe it rains it pours!!

Cal