Hello to Jack & Judy (I hope);

I am a little confused about this post, but hope its straightened out so I can welcome these travellers too!

Jack's DX is not too different than mine, check signature below, and my ENT was a Dr. Anderson also, but my guy lives in a Vancouver, Canada suburb as do I. All I can do is wish Jack the same successes I have had to date, and if that means more coincidences than fewer, then so be it!

I know this will sound inconsistent with good medical reasoning, but the hardest treatment phase I experienced was the major surgery I had a few months after the radiation and chemo ended. Although I had difficulty swallowing due to the intensity of the volcano that had become my throat, the side-effects of the surgery have had a greater impact on my life now that I have 2 years to reflect on what went down.

Until the radical neck dissection was performed, I was going great, relatively speaking. So if there was anyway I could have avoided the surgery, either before or after the rad and chemo, I would have. There's no way you'll be able to avoid the radiation or chemo, so if Jack has a chance he might escape the knife, I would suggest he go for it rather than leading with his neck.

Although Cisplatin has a bad reputation for acute side effects, I slid through 3 "heavy dose" treatments without so much as a queezy feeling. I did 2 nights and 1 morning (times 3)in the hospital wondering what all the fuss was about, and why I had taken every precaution against nausea - even the unorthodox ones like the legal-in-Canada medical marihuana option - none of which were necessary. The standard drugs they made available were simply excellent and did their job without serious concern. I kept my full and flowing shoulder length hair without losing a single lock until after the surgery when it interfered with the wound's healing and I had it chopped off. I should have kept it to hide the missing one-half of my neck that the surgeon took along with the 27 lymph nodes.

But the end justifies the means, and my worst day with half a neck and a feeding tube is immeasurably better than the best day with cancer, and there's no mistake about that!

Anyway, look long and close at every option. Your nursing background will give Jack a real headstart in the research and support department. Unfortunately, there may be times when you feel there is too much information to deal with, and you yearn for simpler times. Don't forget that cancer plays by no rules, and even if it did, it is a cheater by nature. Make no assumptions, and don't be afraid to visit the wild side for options once in a while.

We wish you Godspeed and every success with Jack's treatment, and long and healthy lives to you both.

Stay in touch with progress, and we'll look forward to future posts.

All the best!
JT2

Age 55 at Dx,smoker 30 yrs ago, drinker 8 yrs ago; Stage 4 Squamous cell carcenoma T4a N3; 35 radiation tx, 3 chemo w/ Cisplatin, radical neck dissection,40 hyperbaric dives pre-surgery. Clinical remission since May 2006; Update: declared cancer free July 16, 2010! Miracles can happen...