Hi Steve;

Welcome to the forum. Check my signature below and you'll see we have lots in common, except you beat me by a couple months with the cancer free status. Good on ya' !

I just started the Therabite exactly 4 weeks ago to the day. I could open only 15mm at the start (unassisted) and that has increased to 22mm now, and 32mm (assisted with the device). Every time I reach a new plateau of discomfort, I can feel the muscles wanting to let go even further. Once comfortable at the new level, I go for a new increase and the cycle repeats itself. I would really like to hear how you went about its use and what successes you had. You mentioned you hadn't gained much recently - could you expand on that topic with some more detail. Maybe we could help each other somehow.

Looks like you escaped going under the knife in your treatment. I presume the rad and chemo was enough to eliminate any neck tumours or lymph node trouble. You were very fortunate if that is the case, as I am still looking for the missing half of my neck!

Are your saliva glands active at all, or does xerostomina accompany your trismus condition as well?

If you'd rather email than post a reply, send it to: John Hallier - [email protected]

You should find this website very informative and helpful, and your posts will be well received too.

All the best;
JT2

Age 55 at Dx,smoker 30 yrs ago, drinker 8 yrs ago; Stage 4 Squamous cell carcenoma T4a N3; 35 radiation tx, 3 chemo w/ Cisplatin, radical neck dissection,40 hyperbaric dives pre-surgery. Clinical remission since May 2006; Update: declared cancer free July 16, 2010! Miracles can happen...