I'm going in for my 3rd surgery on monday. I thought my second surgery was going to be good enough but unfortunately my margins weren't clear of cancer. This time they're going to do a 1/2 glossectomy with a skin flap coming from my left forearm and attatching that to my tongue for reconstruction. To cover that flap on my forearm they'll take a skin graph from my thigh and put it on my wrist. They're also going to take the rest of my lymph nodes out of the left side of my neck since they found cancerous nodes on that side. Because of the severity of swelling I'm getting a feeding tube and a tracheotomy temporarily. I'll need the feeding tube however for a time being b/c I'll be starting chemo/radiation shortly after. I have no doubt that with the support of family and friends plus the great medical care I'm recieving that I'll be cancer free for years to come. I was a collegiate swimmer and now am currently serving in the military. Staying physically fit is a way of life for me. I've already decided that once this over I will do an Iron Man. However, going into the treatment is rather scary and I would love any advise from people that have been through it already or currently going through it.

Kurt
25 yr old. Dx 11 July 07 originated in tongue Stage IV. 3 surgeries had clear margins Had a hemiglossectomy 13 Aug and radical neck disection - Left side. chemo/rad Started 24 Sep 07 Finished 7 November 07-Never Smoked Drank on special Occasions