"I felt sorry for the doc. This guy probably just sees kids with ear and nose issues. Here he's facing this very healthy looking woman who has had no risk factors, actually somewhat of a health nut, and having to tell her she has a "large" cancerous growth on the back of her tongue."

Katey, Because the small city I live in has a hospital with radiation medicine affliated with a cancer center, I didn't have to go to another cancer center for treatment. But my ENT here, though he's had some special training in oncology, also has a bread and butter business in putting tubes in kids ears because this is a small city--way too small to just specialize in oncology. Still I think any ENT that has practiced for a while has had experience telling people they have oral cancer--including young healthy looking people with no risk factors. Especially these days when people meeting that description are making up more and more of oral cancer patients/survivors.

Anyway, you have found a place here whee you can get a lot of your questions answered as you go through this. I agree with Eileen you need to point out to the docs you se that this has been around for a while and get moving on a treatment plan quickly.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"