As I'm new to this board, let me summarize my situation. In the fall of '06 I had a persistent sore throat, 3+ months. Then in winter, a small lump developed on my right jaw. I saw my GP, he gave some antibiotics, no help. Then he sent me to ENT doc, he saw a problem, had surgery scheduled to biopsy the tonsil. This was June 29, the tissue was SCC Stage III. He then did a radical neck dissection, examined 44 lymph nodes, took out 14, found cancer in one. After a week in the hospital, I went home and started scans. First the PET scan (no active cancer found outside throat area), then CT scan, then oral surgery (removed all but one pair of molars a week ago), and now the treatment decisions. I'm in Ames, Iowa, worked with local hospital here, got second opinion from DSM Mercy Hospital. Same diagnosis and treatment recommended by both. Seven weeks of radiation (IMRT, 4500 rad) with three chemo sessions of cystplatin. This will start on August 6. My support group has been great, but the fear of the treatment unknowns is powerful. I've lost 20 pounds so far, but appetite is coming back. I will have surgery to put in feeding tube and vein portal on the 31st. Naturally, I'm concerned about the intensity of the treatment and the side effects. I'm not all that tough, but there are no options. Viewing others experiences does help. Thanks.

Pigdoc