Hi everyone.

I was Dxed with cancer on the left side of my tongue on 5/22/07 (SCC). A PET scan was negative for any spreading. On 6/13/07 the doctor removed about 25% of my tongue and replaced it with muscle, skin, etc. from my arm.

They also removed the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. Regretfully, one was positive with a small tumor.

Tomorrow, 7/9/07, I meet with my oncologist for the 1st time. I'm treating at the Barret Center at the University of Cincinnati Hospital. I have several concerns/questions, and would really appreciate any advice.

1) They want to do radiation and chemo. What chemo protocols have the highest sucess rates for SCC?

2) How quickly should we peoceed with radiation/chemo after surgery? My doc sz 3 weeks, but they move so slow, when I was eligible, they set an appointment out several weeks. HOW CAN I GET THEM TO START TREATMENT ASAP??

3) My doc sz I have a better than 2/3 shot at making it through this. I don't know if I can beleive him because that's not what I have read in my books for Stage III cancer.

4) How to stay positive? I feel, much of the time, like a "dead man walking". I know thatmy emotions/attitudes can make a difference in the final outcome, but have difficulty staying positive. Any advice?

5) I have read that alcohol and tobacco play a hand in this disease. I am wondering if the 5 year survival stats are skewed to the low side because many of the patients engage in these addictions even after they are diagnosed. In other words, has any seen/heard of any controlled studies where survivial rates are charted for people who quit smoking/drinking v. those that don't.

Thanks very much for you help.

Stage III Cancer of Left Tongue Diagnosed 5/22/07; resection/reconstructive surgery 6/13/07 with removal of left, cervical lymph nodes (1 positive; Chemo/Radiation to commence shortly.