Linda and Todd, Chemo was a bit of an anti-climax for me. I was so apprehensive about those first few treatments... The toughest part was trying to keep all the prescriptions straight and taking pills at the right time - before and after. The first few treatments of chemo made me feel cold - but that was about it. It got more intense later, but I was settled into the routines of the place by then.

Don't wait for the nausea to take the drugs that treat it. Be pre-emptive about it. It can be very tough to get it stopped if you wait until you think you need the drugs. Dehydration is a MAJOR issue in both chemo and rad tx. Don't lose fluids from either end if you can possibly avoid it. Don't tough it out - take the preventative drugs.

Being afraid is rational and sensible. There are some tough things on the road ahead. But don't let it immobilize you, let it make you mad and motivated. The medicine will do half the job - your attitude and focus does the other half. People who fight back can win. We are proof. Be smart, be focused, be positive, be pro-active. Check in here often and let us help. You are not alone. Tom J

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.