Hi there, this is my first post although I have been reading others for a while and found them very useful.

My background - I am 30, female, Irish, but living in Luxembourg since 2001. I had tongue cancer last year.

I was very relieved to find this site a few months back as it explains everything clearly in english. As many of the healthcare professionals I am dealing with communicate with me through french (one of the working languages here in Luxembourg but not my first language), every now and then I get a little confused as to what exactly is going on/what the exact terms are for the treatment/condition. It also proved more than a bit awkward after the initial surgery when I had difficulty speaking and did not have a great level of french. Thankfully my french has improved in leaps and bounds since then, especially my medical vocabulary!

My treatment story:
In Jan 06 I had a small cancer on the left side of the tongue and had 1/3 of the tongue removed, plus nodes from both sides of the neck which luckily turned out to be negative. I had the surgery here in Luxembourg as the facilities are great, medical care is heavily subsidised by the state and I didn't have any private health insurance (I do now!)

After some worrying results from follow up checks I was advised to have brachitherapy (can't spell it but means radioactive implants in the tongue), which I had for a week in France in April 06. Apart from the nasty initial reaction and recovery period (2 months), all was well and I went back to work.

I then developed another ulcer in the same place in November 06. This was the lowest point for me as I had to wait a few weeks for a second opinion, some tests and finally confirmation of what it was. I became quite stressed as I had a good idea of what I might have to go through if it were cancerous. It was definitely a case of knowing too much!

Luckily it was only a normal ulcer that couldn't heal itself, so now I am having HBO treatment. I am at session 15 of 50 to 60. I can see some improvement already, and am very pleased to have a treatment that doesn't make me feel ill.

My question is about numbness in the neck after surgery. At the moment I have very little feeling between the two scar lines (most of the front of my throat is numb). I know its a very small issue ideed but I was wondering if anyone knows if it improve further or will it stay like this? My doctor seems to think its as good as its going to get.

SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue.Partial glossectomy multiple nodes removed 01/06, T2/N0/M0.1 week Brachytherapy 04/06.Modified Neck dissection 1 node 06/06,negative. New ulcer 11/06,non cancerous, HBO treatment 01/07 to 03/07. 2007-2008 had speech therapy and voice training.OK now!