Rhonda, you are going to have some similiar surgical parocedures as JOhn had. The writing board is essential. The trach scared me beforehand, but was very manageable and did not bother John too much. The swelling immediately after surgery will scare your family, but it looks worse than you will feel. I would suggest you ask your Doc's about the possibility of requesting a private room for you [if it was Doctor requested, our Ins. company paid for it] having a quiet room to ourselves was a Godsend to us. John stayed in the hospital 6 days after that surgery. Alert your family to make a list for what to have at home before you come home. You will only want to rest and sleep, so groceries in the house, someone answering the phone, someone to get the meds. from the pharmacy, etc. should be assigned. I assume you will have a peg tube with this kind of surgery. If so, get the nutrition you will use lined up ahead of time if you can. And if you have the peg, alert your pharmacist that all meds. need to be liquid or crushable. Be sure you have a reliable thermometer in the house [we use the in the ear type]. Ask about cleaning the graft wound and other wounds ahead of time so you will have that stuff in house.[I am saying this because I came home from the hospital with a long list of "stuff" to buy and I did not want to leave John alone while I went out and found the stuff. If youall can stock up on some frozen foods and canned goods for your Mom to have in the pantry when you get home, that will be helpful too. Hope you get to use your laptop so we can share your progress. We will be thinking about you. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

: