Hello all - I am new to this site but have enjoyed the last hour reading your heroic stories. God Bless you all. My husband just completed 7 weeks of radiation/chemo at Johns Hopkins - part of a clinical trial. He has squamous cell carcinoma in left tonsil and three lymph nodes (stage IV). Will have PET scan on 9/26 so we will breathe better after those results come in. Treatment side effects have been rough - PEG tube has helped with he nutrition but the mucusitis has been the worst causing vomiting and as a result dehydration...but he is now getting all of that behind him and trying to eat. Would like to know if anyone has any suggestions to help with the eating also would like to know how prevalent depression is post treatment. He seems very down and quiet...not very talkative. Have talked to him about depression and he says he's "fine". Also would like to add a note that Hopkins has a study going that relates the HPV virus to the unexplained head and neck cancers (non-smokers/non-drinkers). My husband has tested positive for HPV and will begin another clinical trial with the HPV vaccine.

MARTY-Caregiver to husband (non-smoker/non-drinker)Dx 04/06 SCC Stage IV left tonsil-3 lymph nodes,HPV+,Tx 35xIMRT,35xcisplatin/tarceva,neck dissection 11/06, beginning HPV vaccine JHopkins 04/07.