Hi all -

It has been awhile since I've checked the site so I thought I'd post with an update on my treatments.

I am currently through 23 of 35 Tomotherapy IMRT treatments so 5 weeks down, 2 to go. So far, I have been very fortunate since I can still swallow with little to no discomfort and have not really had issues with mouth ulcers. A couple here and there but not bad. I have yet to take any pain medication of any sort and I'm hoping this is as bad as it will get. I do have that feeling of sand stuck in the back of my throat but it's tolerable. I also don't feel like my mouth is all that dry. A little yes but again, tolerable.

My major issue related to the radiation is taste loss. It went pretty quickly and at this point, anything that may have residual flavor tastes like soap or glue. It's horrible and really compels me to not eat. I'm living mainly on a liquid diet because when I drink through a straw, I can bypass most of the taste issue.

Question for the board - how long will the taste issues last once treatments are finished? I find myself fantisizing about food at this point and I can't wait to enjoy a meal, any meal, again.

Since I am also taking Erbitux, I thought that I would report that those effects are very insignificant. I had a terrible case of the acne after week 1 which lasted until I decided to stop being stubborn and start taking the anti-biotic that was prescribed. Since then, the rash has cleared quite a bit and now looks more like a case of rosatia. The biggest problem that I've had with the Erbitux is not from the Erbitux at all but from the Decadron which is a steroid given as a pre-med during treatment. This drug causes a day or two of indigestion and rather nasty hiccups. Otherwise, no issues.

Here's to hoping for smooth sailing down the home stretch!

Mike

Follow my experience at http://mycancerfight.blogspot.com/

Diagnosed 6/28/06 with SCC of the base of tongue. T1N2bM0. Modified radical neck dissection 7/19/06. 35 x Tomotherapy IMRT began 8/15/06. 8 x adjuvant Erbitux. UPDATE: 10/4/11 - Checkup on my 5 year anniversary and I am cancer free!